Oriental Lily (Lilium orientalis) - Knowledgebase Question

Spokane, Wa
Question by perrymary
Bought 5 of these at HD. Do I plant them where it will be very dry? When the flower is done, I broke it off, but will it continue to grow new flowers this season? It smells so good and is beautiful, but the flowers are all gone on all 5 plants in one weeks time. What am I doing wrong?

0

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Lilies bloom once in the summer but the larger bulbs will produce multiple flowers. As each flower fades, snap it off the plant but leave the stem and foliage alone. It will die down after your first frost and the bulb will rest until next spring. At that time it will produce a tall stalk and another flower (or several flowers). Lilies prefer moist, loose soil so keep yours well watered and place a few inches of compost or other organic mulch around the plant to help keep the soil moist and cool. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"