Yellow Mushrooms Growing in House Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Myers, Fl
Question by trinazone
Hello. I live in (hot and humid) SWFL and have several houseplants I grow on my lanai. This summer, I have found yellow furry looking mushrooms growing in the soil of some of my plants. What are they? Do I need to be concerned for the health of my plants? If so, what is the proper care/treatment/preventive steps to follow? I currently just pull them from their root and discard them. Thank you.

0

The mushrooms are growing because all the conditions are right and the potting soil is decomposing. It's natural for potting soil, which contains shredded bark, compost, and peat moss, to decompose over the years. The only real fix is to repot your plants with fresh potting soil. I'd opt for simply pulling out the mushrooms as they appear and using a kitchen fork to cultivate the top inch of soil to incorporate fresh air. Usually that's all it takes to discourage mushroom growth. Best wishes with your plants.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"