Lawn re-newal - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by mlf97
Due to your answer on this previous inquiry, maybe I didn't write the question correctly. But I am going to have the lawn totaly killed with herbicide/weed killer, because it is over 50% bad grasses & weeds. After doing so, I want to re-seed it with Fescue grass. But how long, after the killing out of grasses/weeds, should I wait before putting in the new Fescue seed (power-seeding it)? Thanks U.

0

Sorry about the confusion! If you use a vegetation killer such as Round Up, the waiting period is about a week. Since I don't know what you are using to kill the existing grass and weeds, I can only recommend you check the fine print on the label to see what the waiting period is between using the product and then reseeding. Round Up does not move into the soil - it stays in the the plant and works its way down to the roots, then degrades in a matter of a week. Other products may move into the soil and take longer to degrade so be sure to check the label before reseeding. You'll also need to be aware that these products will kill existing weeds but not the weed seeds remaining in the soil. This can complicate things because when you reseed and begin to water the area, latent weed seeds can sprout along with the grass. You can't really use a pre emergent to keep weed seeds from sprouting until after your new lawn is established (after mowing 2-3 times). But once the roots of your new grass have established themselves well you can apply a corn gluten based pre emergent to keep those weeds at bay. Hope this clarifies things for you and your new turf develops beautifully. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"