graduated growth - Knowledgebase Question

marlboro, Ne
Question by klbdr5
My garden groes tall and strong at the back next to the foundation of my home and out 5 ft. the balance of the 10 feet the plants grow smaller and shorter. the garden is graded down away from the house.

0

Hmmmm... does sound odd, doesn't it? It is possible that the back of the bed retains more moisture and the roots are able to grow deeper into the soil, which will support better growth. As the soil slopes down to the front of the bed, water may run off before it has a chance to really soak in. You can remedy that situation by incorporating some organic matter such as compost. The organic matter will loosen the soil so it can hold more moisture and will also provide a nutrient rich area for the roots of your plants. It would be easiest to renovate the soil if you first remove all the plants in the area. If you decide to do this, simply spread 3-4 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top of the soil and dig it into a depth of 6-8 inches. If you cannot remove all the plants from the area you can still help amend the soil by spreading 3-4 inches of compost over the bare soil between the plants and digging it into the soil. Either way, you'll be improving the soil and your plants should thrive. Best wishes with your garden~

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"