Wild Bermuda Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Lithia, Fl
Question by danflower
I have some areas in my St. Augustine lawn that have wild Bermuda taking root and thriving. Is there any way to get it out or kill it? I tried hand pulling, but the runners are entangled with the St. Augustine.

0

I don't know of any herbicide that will kill Bermuda but not harm St. Augustine. Continue to hand pull and next March try using a pre emergent herbicide to keep bermuda seeds from germinating. Here are some points to consider regarding what conditions may favor one species or the other: In the shade, St. Augustine has the edge. In drought conditions, Bermuda has the edge. Infrequent mowing schedules may favor St. Augustine a bit. Taller mowing heights may favor St. Augustine, as well. Bermuda is more tolerant of heavy foot traffic so it may pop up in areas with compacted soils. Wish there were an easy solution to the problem! Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"