Drooping tree - Knowledgebase Question

windsor, Ca
Question by cheerstoyou
I have a new Lavender Twisted Weeping Redbud that I planted 3 mos. ago. It was just a 4' stick with a rootball. Now it has several shoots but the leaves are hanging on the ground and some of them are getting eaten and i am not sure what to do. It may look strange to try to prop them up as it is a focal point in a mound in our front yard. The top half never had any growth, I pruned it off last wk.

0

Sounds like your Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud just needs a chance to grow a little taller so the branches don't hang down on the ground. Eventually it will, but it may take a year or two. In the meantime, don't worry too much about the leaves being eaten - your redbud can tolerate that. I don't know how much of the top you pruned out. If it was dead, there's no problem with removing the wood but if it was still alive you may have pruned off the potential for your tree to grow very much in height. At this point I'd just leave it alone. Early next spring you can shorten the remaining branches to encourage healthy new growth. With any luck it will begin to develop new growth at the top and you can eventually remove the lowest branches so they no longer drag on the ground. Best wishes with your redbud!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"