my apple tree. - Knowledgebase Question

fresno, Ca
Question by gj108
it me gloria, it about my
apple tree again a few weeks ago it had black spots on the leaves well i
went to home depot and got
some spray,for it i ask the expert man and he told me what to get well two differn sprays i could use.well he said the
one i got was good i spray
but now it back and on my
apples the black spots.tell me what to do.
gloria

0

It sounds as though your tree has developed a fungal disease called apple scab. If so, you need to begin your preventative spray program in the winter months and continue to spray while the leaves are emerging in the spring. Now that your tree has developed a problem, it will be difficult to control. To avoid diseases, your apple trees can be sprayed with Bordeaux (lime-sulfur). This fungicide must be applied early and thoroughly to protect new growth. Apply according to label directions; as the buds break until the leaves are fully expanded. Do this at prepink, pink, calyx, and first cover. Since the fungus overwinters in fallen leaves and fruit, be sure to thoroughly clean up and dispose of plant debris in the fall months. The horticultural oil is effective against overwintering scale insects and insect eggs and should be applied in the winter. It is sold as dormant spray.

For right now, all you can do is put up with the damage. When the leaves fall off the tree at the end of the season, rake them up and remove them from the garden. Begin your preventative spray program in the winter and follow through with the scheduled sprays throughout the spring months (follow the directions on the label). Hope this helps you grow healthy apples next year.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"