Why are my tomatoes not ripening ? - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, Wi
Question by stutt1117
I thought that the type of weather that we are having is perfect for tomatoes, mine are just not ripening, do I need to cut down some of the foliage? Or just wait?

0

They may be ripening right on schedule, it's just that you're anxious for them to ripen. Here are a few tricks to help push those green tomatoes along! Remove a portion of the foliage. Don't remove too much, or you'll risk sunscald, but thin the plants to allow sun to penetrate and warm the fruit. Prune actively growing suckers and shoots, to direct energy toward the fruit. Root prune, by sinking a shovel into the ground in a circle around the plant, about a foot from the stem. By disturbing the roots in this way, you can sometimes stress the plants into ripening their fruit. Bring any partially ripened fruit indoors and place in a warm spot to hasten ripening. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"