grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by jojobob
I would like to plant a grape vine in our backyard. Is there a variety that will grow in the desert? What is it? When to I plant it? I want to be able to eat the grapes. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

0

The best grape varieties for the Phoenix area are in the European class (Vitis vinifera). Flame seedless grapes and Thompson seedless grapes are both in this class and these plants can be easily found for sale locally. The lower desert summer heat encourages these varieties to produce lots of sugar, creating a wonderfully sweet flavor. Interestingly, the heat also keeps some pigmented grapes from attaining full color, even when they are fully ripe. For example, flame seedless grapes stay green during the hottest months even when they are ready to eat. This requires one to perform taste tests for ripeness before picking them.

You'll find bareroot grapevines available in your garden center in February so plant them then. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"