Crepe Myrtle Problems - Knowledgebase Question

Weston, Fl
Question by scarlet43
My Crepe Myrtle is in distress - wilted, dead leaves; I'm told though the plant will recover - it was planted too deep - they pulled it up a bit yesterday. Does this tree have a chance at survival? I'm so upset over this because you hire people who should know what they're doing.

0

I agree, there aren't many professionals out there anymore! Newly planted trees will go through a period of stress until their roots establish. During that time they can look sick and drop leaves. But, once they become established, they usually perk right up. The problem with planting a tree too deeply is that it is susceptible to rot at the trunk line. Now that your crepe myrtle has been reset at a higher level, it should recover. However, it's August - the hottest part of the year - and the roots have been disturbed a second time so your tree may not look healthy again until next spring. Just water it deeply once or twice a week and leave it alone for now. In the spring, after it has flowered, you can prune it back to encourage healthy new growth. I hope your tree recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"