Basil - Knowledgebase Question

atlantic city, Ne
Question by fcbernard1
It is the tired time I'm buying a little plant of basil with soft nice green leaves and all the time I plant them in my pot in full sun exposer after a couple of weeks the leaves start to turn hard and not eatable no more. I try to cut less than a half of the plant, now this last one has flowers on top too and before I buy an other one I want to ask what to I do wrong?

0

It's important to keep any developing flower stalks pruned off your basil. Once it begins to flower it will turn woody and stop producing edible leaves. Try planting yours in a spot that gets morning sun but shade from hot afternoon sun; harvest the leaves frequently and be sure to cut down any flower stems before they develop flowers. As long as you prune the stems back your basil plant will develop new stems with lots of tender leaves. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"