Brown leaf edges on peace lily and problems with newly planted lantana - Knowledgebase Question

Johnson City, Te
Question by dixie220
We have a large peace lily that we have had about 7 months. It is beginning to get brown edges on the tips of the leaves. Is this from over or under watering.
Also, my boss bought some lantana at Home Depot about 3 weeks ago and the healthiest one is dying. We live in Johnson City, TX. Could it be our soil. Should she return the plant?

0

Dry indoor air can cause the browning tips but so can salts in the water. Browning usually occurs on the old leaves first as the excess salt accumulates in the leaf edges, where it kills the tissue. It's important to water deeply and slowly. At least once a month, water deeply enough to leach or push salts well below the root zone. Frequent, light sprinklings allow salts to accumulate in the top layers of soil, where the roots are, which is bad news. Similar symptoms occur when too much fertilizer has been applied. You can immerse the container in a larger container of water to saturate the soil and help leach out any excess salts. Best wishes with your peace lily.

As for the lantana, it's difficult to know why it is dying. Transplant stress can cause plants to lose their leaves and otherwise look puny so this might be what's happening with your boss's lantana. Lantanas are usually hardy plants and although you don't see much topgrowth, it's possible the roots are still healthy and will develop new growth when the weather cools down slightly. I'd give the plant until October or November to begin to perk up and show new growth. If you don't see anything positive by then, dig it up and return it.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"