aspen trees - Knowledgebase Question

Golden, Co
Question by sheriakes
we have wild aspen trees all over our yard. they have been getting black spots on the leaves and they fall off. is this bug or germ related and what do I do before it kills the trees. I have controlled the ants better but the leaves keep falling. what can I do short of calling a tree doctor or cutting them down?

0

Aspen leaf spot, or Marssonina leaf spot, is common on aspen trees in the late summer and autumn. A previous spring of warm, rainy conditions creates the perfect environment for the disease to spread.

To manage aspen leaf spot, rake fallen leaves in the autumn to prevent the spread of the fungus in the spring. Aspen leaf spot is usually not severe enough to warrant the use of fungicide, but if the symptoms occur year after year, apply a product such as Daconil 2787 in the spring when leaves are emerging from the bud. It's too late to apply fungicide once the symptoms are evident. Read and follow label directions carefully. Aspens are very sensitive to many pesticides and if applied incorrectly, pesticides can cause the leaves to turn black so be sure to follow label directions.

Best wishes with your aspen trees.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"