Pruning and Transplanting a Weigela - Knowledgebase Question

Covington, Ge
Question by chrystal_gri
Hello, I planted a weigela plant that was about 2 ft tall two years ago, in my backyard which is mostly shaded. It has since grown to be about 12-14 ft and become very spindly. I was told that is was stretching to get to more sunlight and that I should move it. Just wondering if this is true and if so the best time to cut it back and move it. Also how far back should it be pruned. Thanks.

0

What you've heard is true. The more shade, the more your plant will stretch towards the light and the more potential for it to become sparse and leggy. Weigela needs at least 6 hours of direct sunshine in order to thrive and to bloom well. If yours is not getting adequate sunshine it won't ever perform to its fullest potential. I'd wait until the weather cools in late fall or early winter and move the plant to a sunnier site. You can prune it back by about one third without harm. After it settles into its new home and begins to put out new growth and new flowers, you can prune it back by one third again. Eventually you'll train it into a thick, rounded shrub with lots of new growth and lots of flowers. Enjoy your weigela.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"