marigolds - Knowledgebase Question

mims, Fl
Question by brandysmith_
Where do the seeds come from? I have cut spent flowers and kept them. I have kept cozmo seeds and snap dragon seeds, also when is a good time to plant seeds to start again? I am in zone 9

0

Seeds develop when the flowers are pollinated by bees and other flying insects. When the petals fall off the flowers the ovary will swell and turn a tannish color. When this happens, seeds have developed and ripened and you can cut the seed pods off the plants, open them up and spill out the seeds. Marigolds have elongated black and white seeds, the seeds of snapdragons are tiny, round, and black or brown; cosmos seeds can be a tannish brown or black.

You can plant your seeds now. Just barely cover them with compost, fine soil or potting soil and keep the seedbed moist. They should germinate in about 10 days. Good luck with your seed starting project.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"