sick squash plants - Knowledgebase Question

HOOVER, Al
Question by weinberg69
Last yr & this yr my squash plants died from either root rot or fungus. The garden center couldn't tell me. Do I need to treat the soil before replanting? can I plant another crop of squash this yr (zone 8, bham,al)

0

It's always a good idea to rotate your crops so they won't be prone to the same diseases as your previous crops may have had. I'd plant the squash in a different area of the garden. To help avoid root rot or fungus, work some compost into the soil to help it drain well and be sure your plants are getting plenty of sunshine. It's also important to keep water off the foliage and to space your plants so there's plenty of air circulation all around them. Follow these guidelines and your squash should not develop fungal diseases or root rot next year. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"