navel orange - Knowledgebase Question

Jupiter, Fl
Question by haroldkut
I have a navel orange tre that I got from you two years ago. it got a lot of flowers in ths spring and oranges started growing . Now i only have one orange left , the rest have fallen or split open, many leaves appear to be curling and and color is a lifht green. I ferterlize and spry the tree on a regular basis. How can I get this tree healthy ?

0

Most navel orange trees need to mature to at least 5 years before they begin to produce good crops. And, orange trees always develop more flowers than they can possibly mature into fruit, so flower drop and the dropping of small fruits is normal. The splitting is a water related issue. Citrus is made up of hundreds of tiny water balloons. As the citrus stays on the tree throughout the season, more water is going into the citrus. So imagine what happens if the balloons are full. Manufacturing more juice simply causes those "water balloons" to burst and the skin to split. As your tree matures and begins using the water you supply more efficiently, the fruit it develops should be juicy and flavorful. The off green leaf color and the curling of the leaves is probably weather related. Your tree just needs more time to mature so it can tolerate the summer weather. I'd just continue to water deeply and feed 3 times a year. Your tree will eventually settle in and begin producing for you. Best wishes with your navel oranges.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"