how should I transplant papaya - Knowledgebase Question

Pinon Hills, Ca
Question by Favgrandma
we dumped all the papaya seeds into a large pot of potting soil and voila a pot full of baby papaya. How should I transplant them. We live in the upper desert in so. Ca and do get very cold temps in the winter even snow at times.Do you think we have a chance of ever getting a papaya off the plants when they mature?

0

Papaya is tropical in nature so if your garden regularly freezes each winter, there's not much chance you'll get a papaya to grow mature enough to develop fruits. However, you might transplant a few of your new little plants and try growing them indoors during the winter months. You can enjoy them outoors in the spring and summer months and indoors as a houseplant when temperatures are below 55F.

To transplant, choose containers with lots of drainage holes in the bottoms and fill them with moistened potting soil. Use a kitchen fork to gently lift each of the little plants and transplant each one into a container of its own. Water when the top of the soil feels dry to the touch.

Best wishes with your new venture!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"