Azalea - Knowledgebase Question

Sonoma, CA
Question by Davenan
My potted Azalea has not produced any flowers in the 5 years I've had it. The foliage does quite nicely. I bought 2 other azaleas at the same time and they bloom every year. I feed them all the same. Any thoughts?

0

Your Azalea is certainly mature enough to flower, and as long as you haven't pruned it back at the wrong time and accidentally removed the blossom buds, it should bloom for you. Some members of the Azalea family do best in full sunshine and others perform only under shady conditions. Try moving your plant to a different location so it gets more or less light than it's receiving now. You might also try withholding fertilizer. If a plant gets too much Nitrogen it can put out new foliage at the expense of flower production. If neither of these steps brings about improvement, lightly prune the plant about mid-summer to encourage new stems and the production of flower buds for next spring's display.