Leaf bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasantville, Ne
Question by onefam4jc2
What can I use to get rid of bugs that are eating the leaves of my chrysanthemum plants as well the leaves of rose bushes. I have tomatoes just coming out and already I see some black granular stuff on the stems. Some of the young tomatoes are already half eaten and some have fallen off.

0

It's always a good idea to have the pests identified. Not all pesticides work against all pests and not all are safe to use on all plants. So, collect a few of the pests in a plastic baggie and take them to a well staffed nursery for help with identification. If that's not possible, I'd use a Permethrin based insecticide. It is the oldest, and most common, of the pyrethroid insecticides. It is widely available and is sold under a large number of different brand names (Martin?s Vegetables Plus, Bonide Eight Vegetable, Fruit & Flower, and Hi-Yield Garden, Pet & Livestock Insect Control are three examples). Permethrin is labeled for use on many different vegetable crops and is effective against many beetle, bug, and caterpillar pests. Because it controls so many different insect pests and is labeled on most vegetables, this is probably one of the most useful insecticides for home vegetable gardeners to keep on hand. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"