Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, Te
Question by hebrews11v3
I went on vacation and came home to really huge cucumbers. They are not fun to look at in a salad. What else can I use them for? I hate to simply throw them away. Can I dry them out for next years seeds?
The heat has damaged most of my tomato and okra plants. What can I do to get them up and going again.

0

You can salvage those overgrown cucumbers by slicing them in half or quarters (long ways) and scooping out the seeds, then chopping them to add to salads or salsa. Or you can pickle them. Don't bother saving the seeds, though. They were most likely cross pollinated and while the fruits are fine to eat, anything you grow from the seeds won't look the same as the original crop. Heat stressed tomatoes and okra may recover when the weather cools down again. If you don't see any improvement in a few weeks you can plant new tomato plants. Choose short season varieties that mature in 45 days and you'll still have time for a harvest before cold weather sets in. If your okra refuse to flower you might as well remove them from your garden and plant new seeds next spring. Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"