Sunflower seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Mesick, Mi
Question by brehmerjaso
I have a ton of sunflowers growing. I bought like 6 packs of seeds around April and waited for frost to stop. They're thriving now but I am a little bummed, there doesn't seem to be one that is creating seeds. There's about 4-5 different kinds(lemonade queens, mammoths, autumn blend, strawberry blond, ect.). Will any of these create seeds for years to come?

0

You may be looking in the wrong places for seeds. The seeds will form in the center of each of the flowers. When the flowers begin to bend down toward the ground and the backs of the flower heads begin to turn from green to a tannish brown, it means the seeds are nearly ripe. Wait until the head turns completely brown and then cut the flower and some of the stalk from the plant. Hang it upside down in a cool, airy place until it is crispy dry then rub two heads together to release the seeds. Not all of the seeds may be viable (depends upon bee activity when the flowers were open) but most will be. Just plant them in your garden next spring and most should sprout. Enjoy your sunflowers!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"