Moving & want to take my plants with me - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Shelley Swift
Independence, Ke
Question by shelslp
We are building a new home and are scheduled to move in in early December. In my current garden I have a butterfly bush and a lavender bush that I really want to take with us to our new home. Can you suggest the best way to end this season and store them so that they can be replanted at our new home in the spring? We currently live in and will remain in Zone 6A.

Thank you,

Shelley

0

The best approach is to leave your plants in the ground for now. If you wait until frost nips the tops and they go dormant they will be easy to dig, set into containers, and move to your new place. Or you can dig and plant them in containers now and keep them in containers the rest of the growing season and all winter long. You'll want to sink the containers into the ground when you move or the roots can freeze solid and your plants can die. Be sure to water them if rainfall is sparse. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"