Morning glory is overtaking my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Ogden, Ut
Question by carriedeano
Morning glory (or something similar) is completely overtaking my lawn and suffocating the grass. I have tried pulling them out but it seems to make the problem worse. Any ideas?

0

Wild morning glory, or field bindweed, is difficult to control once established. It is a perennial and forms a deep, extensive root system. Pulling the tops only encourages new sprouts from the roots. To kill it, dig the entire plant, roots and all or hoe it down as soon as you see it sprouting; this eventually weakens the root system. Don't let bindweed set seed; the hard-coated seeds can sprout even after lying dormant in the soil for years. You might have more success with control if you use a product such as Round Up and paint it directly on the stubs of the stems immediately after you've cut the tops. It will be translocated down to the roots but will not move in the soil. Once the bindweed is dead you can pull it up and out of the turf. Round Up is a non-selective herbicide so any that touches your lawn will also kill the lawn. Be extra careful when you paint the product on the stubs of the weeds. Hope you get control of that nasty weed!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"