Pruning very tall Crepe Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by jazcat
I have 3 crepe myrtles that were topped 2 years ago to about 8

0

Topping can result it lots of suckering growth but this growth is not always productive, it terms of flowering. I'd wait until spring and reduce the size of the tree by about one third. This will result in lots of new growth and since crepe myrtles flower on the new growth of the season, should result in lots of flowers. You can prune again after the flowers are spent and you may get a second flush of flowers later in the season. Crepe myrtles can reach 25' high and wide but you can keep yours smaller with annual pruning sessions. Prune in the spring for best flower production. Yes, you can dig the new little tree. Just use a shovel blade to sever the root between the parent tree and the new little sapling. Dig the new tree and replant it in another location. Best wishes with your crepe myrtles!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"