Lawn Weed Issues - Knowledgebase Question

Burgettstown, Pe
Question by robertobrem
I have a problem weed in lawn that is spreading everywhere. The weed is like a Vine with round greed leaves that spreads and re roots every 6 inches. Very difficult to eliminate. I used a granular weed and feed product that I put down last year in September and it did wonders to remove this weed. I want know what product in the dry application would be best to apply to my lawn - and when do I?

0

It sounds like ground ivy but without seeing it, I can't be sure. What you describe sounds like its growth habit, too. But, you may want to take a sample to a Master Gardener Clinic or well staffed nursery just to make sure. Ground Ivy or Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) can be a real pest. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to the weeds. The boron doesn't affect turfgrass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply when the weather is warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results. It may work well for you, too.

Chemical control for creeping Charlie in your lawn is a postemergence broadleaf weed killer containing dicamba. Trimec and Ortho Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for Lawns are two widely sold products that contain dicamba. Fall (mid-September through early November) is generally the best time to control ground ivy. Two applications are usually necessary. The second application should be 14 days after the first. As always, when using pesticides, read and follow label directions carefully.

Good luck with your eradication project.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"