hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

duryea, Pe
Question by cjearl
We bought our home last July. Our hydrangea plant has not bloomed last summer or this summer. Last year I cut it back all the way to the ground. Do you think this could have prevented it from blooming? Do you have any suggestions as to how we can get out plant to flower? thank you very much!

0

I think the lack of bloom on your hydrangea has to do with the way it produces flower buds and your pruning practices - or winter dieback. Hydrangeas bloom on wood produced the year before. The most common reasons for hydrangeas not to bloom are winter damage to the old wood killing off the flower buds, or pruning in the spring which removes the blooming wood. You may need to prune your plant back to 18" above ground level in the late fall when it is dormant, then mound some leaves or compost over the stems to protect them from freezing. In the spring, rake away the insulating material. New shoot will form on the old stems and these new shoots should produce flowers later in the summer. A spring application of compost and/or a granular complete fertilizer according to the label instructions should be sufficient in soil with at least average fertility. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"