on vacation how to water outdoor containers plants - Knowledgebase Question

stafford, Te
Avatar for malatiu
Question by malatiu
August 17, 2010
Hi guys you are doing wonderful service and I want to thanks HD for providing this service.

I will be out of houston for 2 months and I have 5 huge pots of ( 5 hibiscus and one dwarf orange plants. I am looking for something like drip system that can be connected to garden hose as I have automatic timer. Please help me to what kind of system I can get at HD.



Answer from NGA
August 17, 2010
It should be simple to install a drip system to keep your containers watered in your absence and you'll want to design and install it a few weeks before you leave so you can check to make sure it's working properly. What you will need are the following components for your system: Backflow preventer - or anti-siphon device is required to prevent water from the system re-entering your water supply when the system is turned off. Pressure regulator - or pressure reducer. The typical home water supply has too much pressure. If the pressure is over 50 psi, you will need a pressure regulator. Hose fitting - connects the tubing to the pressure regulator. Tubing - 1/2, 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, or .710 depending on the needs of your plants. Start with a main supply line and place spaghetti tubes along the supply line to reach each of your containers. Tubing is usually made from black polyethylene. The smaller "microtubes" are called spaghetti tubes. You'll also need fittings - Straight - used to connect one section of tubing to another; Elbow - to allow right angle turns; Tee - fittings are used to split the direction End fitting/figure eight - closes the system at the end of the line; Emitters - available with different flow rates to accommodate the needs of the plant. These will be located at soil level or elevated on stakes or risers. There are several types, choose based on where you want the water to go. All are rated by their GPH delivery, and there are different types: Bubblers - often used for trees and shrubs - deliver more water in less time Dripper - slow, low quantity delivery right at the root system. Mister - provides humidity. Hole punch - used to make insertion points in the tubing where emitter are located; Goof plugs - securely stop up the hole you punched by mistake (or allow you to move an emitter without replacing the tubing); Barbed Adapter - used to connect tubing and emitters Riser - allows emitters to be placed above the plants Stakes - secure with stakes to elevate ? prevent clogging by soil or bugs. Depending upon the size of the containers, a 1 GPH may be sufficient to deliver enough water to each container but you may need to experiment. Hope this information helps you design an efficient drip system for your landscape.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by SongofJoy and is called "Blue Pansies"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.