hydranga care - Knowledgebase Question

Bend, Or
Question by gardengirlj0
hi- I have 2 questions if u don't mind: Every place I have lived I was told protected shade was for hydrangas---now it seems to be part sun-part shade my annabelle thrived in sun but could you please help me know where to plant it? my small one from last year has slowly started growin, tho it seemed all spring and summer it would rather not. also when can I move a dogwood tree? thank you

0

Hydrangeas need about 4 hours of direct sunshine in order to grow and flower well. Afternoon sun tends to make the foliage wilt so if you can find a spot with morning sun but shade from hot afternoon sunshine, your hydrangea will be happy. Some hydrangeas don't mind full sun exposure. If your Annabelle is thriving, don't move it. I can take new hydrangeas a year to settle in before you see a lot of growth. As long as you water on a regular basis and your hydrangea is getting 4 hours of morning sun, you should see lots of new growth next year. You can move your dogwood in the spring or in the fall, when temperatures are cool and rainfall abundant. Moving during the cooler months of the year will help lessen transplant shock. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"