not producing Zuchini - Knowledgebase Question

Rockford, Il
Question by wavand
I read that male blooms are produced 1st and don't make fruit. I have had 3 or 4 early squash but now just get flowers that fall off. Any ideas? Are my plants done. Leaves look good. Plants are good sized and spreading.

0

It may be that hot weather is rendering the pollen sterile and your zucchini will resume production in another week or two. You can check to make sure some of the flowers are female. Here's how: male flowers are connected to the plant by a straight stem; female flowers have a slight swelling just behind the petals. If your plant is producing only male flowers you won't get any fruit but if you find both male and female blossoms open at the same time, remove the male flower and rub the inside of the flower into the inside of the female flower to transfer pollen. A fruit should begin to develop in just a few days. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"