Canna planting - Knowledgebase Question

Olympia Fields, Il
Question by wilma_t
I just passed a house in Chicago that had at least 100 Cannas blooming and it was beautiful. I find it hard to believe that this person lifts these bulbs every year. Is there some secret to making sure Cannas come back without digging them up? Are there new Cannas on the market? I have seen some at Home Depot that I loved but hesitated to buy them because I did not want to dig them up every year.

0

Here in my corner of Southern Illinois, we can get away with leaving the tubers in the ground if we cover the beds with 8 or 10 inches of pine needles. Therefore, I don't dig them up every year to divide them. Usually, we just dig them about every 3 or 4 years. You, too, are in gardening zone 5, so this should work for you. Try just a few - they multiply readily - and if you're successful you'll eventually have an entire bed full of them.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"