Relive my grass - Knowledgebase Question

Chula Vista, Ca
Question by mmcgeeney
My grass is really deteriorated and dried out, I have a gardner and I tell him my goal is to re-live it, but I don't see any improvement. What should I do to put grass back on my lawn? Right now I just have grass in certain areas, some are completely dried out and other areas just have dirt

0

You can renovate your lawn by aerating and overseeding in the fall. The first thing to be aware of is that there are both cool season and warm season grasses. Cool season grasses are green from the fall through the spring months but they go dormant during the hottest months of the year; warm season grasses are dormant during the coolest months of the year but they green up during the hot summer months. If you have a lawn that is normally green, except in the summer months, you may want to wait until next April and overseed with a warm season type turf. Your gardener should be able to tell you whether you have cool season, warm season or a mixture of cool and warm season grasses. Most lawns in your area are a mixture of bermuda and perennial ryegrass, plus some Kentucky Bluegrass. This mixture will help you have a green lawn all year around. If you decide to overseed, use a grass seed mixture containing all three grass types. Rake the bare areas to remove debris, work some compost into the soil to help loosen it so the grass can root well, then broadcast your seeds and keep the areas moist. New grass will germinate in 7-10 days.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"