Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Washington, Di
Question by Smith_Teri
Brown spots in grass; problem with ground hornets; lawn soil is sand/clay; What can I do to restore lawn

0

I'd control the ground nesting hornets first, then aerate and overseed the lawn to bring it back to life.

First, find the holes in the ground where the hornets are nesting. In the evening place a glass jar or a glass bowl over the entrance hole. The hornets will try to leave the nest in the morning but will not be able to and they aren't smart enough to dig a new exit hole. Without food or water the nest will die out in about 10-14 days. When you see no hornet activity in the jar or bowl, the nest is dead and you can remove the jar or bowl and fill in the hole.

This fall, aerate your lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"