Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

BOSTON, Ma
Question by drlynda6
There are squirrels that are eating up my tomatoes, making themselves comfortable on my porch and taking the blooms off my rose of sharon. Do you have any suggestions to deter them.

0

Dealing with squirrel is tough, but there may be some help for you. One of the easiest solutions is to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. You might even try placing some on your porch. You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard. Your tomato plants will probably have to be caged to protect the ripening fruit. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"