Digging Problem - Knowledgebase Question

Worcester, Ma
Question by janelaba
Recently, I buried fruit tree plant food spikes near our peach trees. Every morning, something has dug them up and appear to have tried to eat them. Reburying them deeper in the ground just results in a bigger hole and more displaced dirt.
What could be doing this and how do I stop it?
P.S. Birdfeeders are hanging from the trees.

0

Squirrels are some of the most curious animals and if they sense something is beneath the ground, they'll dig to see whether it's worthwhile or not. Most times they uncover bulbs but in your case, they're uncovering fertilizer stakes. You can stop them from digging up the fertilizer spikes, but not from digging nearby if they're so inclined. Simply bury the fertilizer spikes and then anchor a piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire over the freshly turned earth. The chicken wire or hardware cloth will keep them from digging the spikes up.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"