cauliflower - Knowledgebase Question

denver, Co
Question by dfeuerhelm1
I just cut a couple of heads of cauliflower and noticed one head had a purple color thru it is this something to worry about or should I just cook it up

0

As a cauliflower heads appear they need to be kept shaded--if the developing heads are exposed to sunlight they can develop a purple tinge. This process of keeping the heads shaded is called "blanching".

Some cauliflowers are "self-blanching" in that they grow their own "shading" leaves, but even these sometimes need blanching if their protective leaves wilt.

There are a few things you can do. One is to draw up a few large leaves over the head and fasten them loosely together (you can use a clothespin). You can also break off one of the larger leaves from the bottom of the plant and lay it on top of the head in order to provide shade.

Often high humidity can cause this coloration as well, so be sure that air can circulate freely under the clipped- together leaves.

I have never seen anything to indicate that these discolored heads are a problem as far as eating. Enjoy your harvest.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"