Regrowing St Augstine Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Trinity, Fl
Question by burtgrace
The St Augustine grass on one side of my Tampa house got hit by Chinch bugs. I sprayed & think that solved the problem. The ground in that area is now covered with what looks like roots from the St Aug woven on the surface. I keep hoping the grass will grow back but its been a month & little has returned. If what I see are St Aug roots should I cover it with soil or rake it up & resod?

0

A large population of chinch bugs can kill the turf and I think what you are seeing are the dead roots and rhizomes of what's left of your St. Augustine after the chinch bug attack. You can try power raking to remove the excess thatch. If the lawn is still alive it will green up again. If the lawn is dead, you'll need to replace it. Fresh new sod can be installed, or you can install sprigs from a healthy part of your exisiting lawn. The quickest way to get a green lawn back is to resod the area. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"