Small front lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by amandabates
Hi,
I live in Philadelphia PA in a small row home. My front yard grows weeds. I want to start over get rid or the weeds and grow nice grass add some mulch and some pretty flowers. I know it is August and it to late to start now but when May 2011 comes I want to have a beautiful front yard with no weeds. Help! Thank You

0

Actually, it's not too late to prepare the soil and to sow grass seeds. Fall seeded lawns usually grow quickly. Start by removing all the weeds and by digging or rototilling the area you want to plant lawn. After rototilling it up, rake out any debris you find - sticks, stones, old lawn or weed debris. The cover over the area with 2-3 inches of compost and rototil that into the soil. Once you've amended the soil you can rake it smooth (make sure it slopes slightly away from the building for good drainage), then broadcast your seeds. Keep the seedbed moist and the grass seeds should sprout in 7-10 days.

You can also attack the flower beds at this time. Remove the weeds, dig in some compost to help loosen the soil, then either use weed barrier landscape fabric to keep new weeds from sprouting, or cover over the bare soil with a 3-4 inch layer of organic mulch. The beds will be ready for planting in the springtime.

Enjoy your new yard!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"