Strawberry planting in Fall - Knowledgebase Question

Blaine, Mi
Question by ngoc1979
Hi, I ordered few strawberry plants and they will arrive in early of Sept. I do not know that if they will survive cause it is getting cold at the time of arrival. Please advise. Thanks
Ngoc

0

Plant your new strawberry plants as soon as they arrive. After your first frost you can pull off the dead leaves and then mulch over the crowns of the plants with several inches of straw or pine needles (or shredded leaves, compost, etc.) to help protect the crowns. In the spring, when new growth begins, brush away the compost and your plants will be on their way to growing and flowering. To encourage healthy root growth, pinch or pull off the flowers the first year. By their second year in the ground they should produce a bumper crop of fruits for you. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"