Wild Crepe Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Brooksville, Fl
Question by connieu11
I have a Crepe Myrtle that is wild and growing in my hedge. It needs to go. What can I do to kill it without killing my hedge plants?

0

It can be a delicate situation. Anything that will effectively kill the volunteer plant will also kill your hedge. The best approach is to dig the crepe myrtle out, roots and all. Second best is to cut it at ground level and immediately paint Round Up or Brush B Gon on the stub. If you are careful with the chemical, it won't harm your hedge. The product will travel down to the roots of the crepe myrtle but will not move in the soil so the roots of your hedge won't be affected. You'll have to apply it carefully, though. Any product that touches your hedge can damage the leaves or stems. Good luck with your eradication project.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"