Fig tree pruning method - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
Fig tree pruning method: You previously said:
You can prune back any overly long branches and you can completely remove any branches that are misplaced. Question: For the overly long branches is there a certain way to prune to better ensure fruit the next year? I think I remember something from the internet but that may have been unnecessarily complicated.
Thanks again.

0

Fig trees can take any amount of pruning. The only thing to keep in mind is that
next year's crop develops on the previous year's wood. A fig tree should be pruned immediately after the main crop is harvested. You can also choose to prune half of the branches one summer and the remainder the following summer. This helps ensure that you get a crop every year. There's no specific place on the branch that's better to cut back to. Simply shorten the branch to the length that's right for the space you have. Sometimes fig trees are espaliered (trained to grow along wires) and they are pruned quite heavily each year but this type of pruning does not affect the fig production.

Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"