Italian Cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
Our 2 Italian Cypress that are 10 yrs. old are browning out mostly in the center but beginning to be quite visible on the outside. This seemed to cccur quite quickly. What's the treatment? Mary

0

It's normal for some evergreens such as Italian Cypress to lose their oldest foliage in the center of the plant but this can also be a sign of insects such as spidermites or it might be from water stress (too much or too little). Usually we recommend you prune just the tips of the branches to encourage the production of more stems and foliage. Doing this can often disguise the dead centers of the plants. Don't prune off all the green, though, or you'll end up with completely bare branches. Quite often once a branch becomes bare it will not develop new foliage. Wish I could positively pinpoint the cause of the browning but without seeing the plant and inspecting the affected areas, it's nearly impossible. I'd check for spidermites (look for webbing between the foliage and the stems) and suggest I'd watering the shrubs deeply once or twice a week. I hope new growth appears. Good luck with your shrubs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"