Black Mission Fig Tree - Knowledgebase Question

pahrump, Ne
Question by bj_martin200
Bought tree about 3 weeks ago still in black container.Trying to find right location in backyard.Have sun from 8am-6pm.Want to put inground but afraid will die.Leaves drying and falling off.how do I take care of my tree?Live in Pahrump Nv,very hot here.

0

Fig trees grow best in full sunshine but in your hot summer region, morning sun and afternoon shade will be best. This way the tree can benefit from about 4 hours of sunshine without having the leaves turn crispy in the hot afternoon sunshine. Move your plant now to a place that's protected from afternoon sun and try to place something in front of the container to deflect the sunshine. Roots in black nursery containers can overheat if the sun beats directly on them. Water often enough to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. When the weather cools in September or October, plant your tree in the ground. Good luck with your fig tree.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"