Pumpkin - Knowledgebase Question

Davenport, Fl
Question by lidmario11
Weeks ago I plant pumpkin seeds and groing fast now big on the ground.Some yelow flowers but fell dawn next day.I thought flowers are the begining of the fruit.I dont know if everything is ok or something happen.

0

You're right, flowers are necessary before fruit develops. Squash and pumpkin plants develop separate male and female flowers. Usually the first flowers to develop are male but as the plant matures, it will develop both male and female flowers. When insects visit the open flowers and transfer pollen from the male to the female, the female will develop fruit. Just give your pumpkin plant a few more weeks to mature and you'll begin to see little fruits forming. You can tell the difference between male and female flowers by looking at the stems just behind the petals. Male flowers will have straight stems; female flowers will have a slight swelling just behind the petals. This is where fruits will form. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"