Watermelons and cantalope - Knowledgebase Question

Greensboro, No
Question by Itzyespin
Hello,this was my first year growing watermelon and cantalope,I got the seedlings from HM,and had a great start,but they never grew to true size the biggest watermelon(sugarbaby)was the size of a grapefruit and the cantalope baseball size or so but the inside looked and taste almost like a reg.size fruit,I've heard that they are no suppose to be transplanted?or I did something wrong.Thanks.

0

Watermelons and cantaloupe can be difficult to transplant so it's usually best to start plants from seeds rather than set transplants into your garden. But it sounds as though you have had some success. The sizes of the fruits really depend upon the variety you are growing, and the growing conditions (including weather). As long as your plants are healthy and productive, there's not much you can do to make the fruits grow larger. Next spring, try planting seeds rather than transplants. This way the roots of the plant will have ample opportunity to spread out. The larger the root system, the larger the plant and the better chance you'll have for full sized fruit development. Good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"