compost bin - Knowledgebase Question

Bridgewater, Ne
Question by boxer38z
hi i have compost bin in my back yard been adding grass and scrap vege and fruits from kitchen no meats like most recommend. my question is i saw these grub looking worm eating inside my compost a lot of them. should i be concern ? would this cost problem in the spring when im gonna use compost. any advise would be great thanks for your time John.

0

Compost bins can attract all kinds of insects and most are beneficial in that they help with the decomposition process. The grubs are probably beetle larvae. Both beetles and their larvae can feed on decomposing organic matter. From what you've told me, it sounds as though you have lots of "green" (nitrogen) material but no "brown (carbon) material in your bin. Without a balance of green and brown, your compost won't heat up and it will take much longer to decompose. Try adding some brown material - dried leaves are excellent, but you probably won't have a good supply until this fall so try adding cardboard, shredded newspaper or even some straw. And, be sure to turn the compost on a regular basis to incorporate air which will help it heat up and decompose more rapidly. Once the compost starts to "cook" it will be too warm for most insects and the insect will leave. And, as your compost continues to decompose it won't be quite so attractive to insects. Best wishes with your compost.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"