Sweet Potato Harvesting - Knowledgebase Question

Euclid, Oh
Question by cmdowney
I am growing sweet potatoes in 2 20 gallon containers. The leaves are started to turn light brown. Usually I harvest them late September or early October. I am wondering with the hot weather if the potatoes are coming to maturity earlier than usual. I didn't want to disturb the roots yet. Any one else finding their vegetables are ready before the standard time?

0

Sweet potatoes can be harvested as soon as the leaves start to yellow, usually just before the first frost of the season. You can harvest sooner, but you'll be sacrificing size. I'm not sure whether the soil got too hot in your containers and that's why the plants are dying prematurely or if there's a water stress issue with the plants. If you decide to grow them in the containers again next year, try to shade the containers from direct afternoon sunshine. The plants themselves should experience full sun but if you can set something in front of the containers to deflect the sun I think you'll see a big difference in your crop next year. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"