Citrus Plants - Knowledgebase Question

loxahatchee, Fl
Question by a16gd
I had a tangerine tree about 6 years old for the and for the first time it had had many fruits then it suddely died. I also have a Kamquot tree that is headinig in the same road as the tangerine. What could be wrong? what can I do? the kamquot tree is also loaded with fruits.

0

If an otherwise healthy looking tree dies suddenly the problem is almost always water stress related. Either the soil doesn't drain well or the trees are not being watered properly and roots have developed a fungal disease. I can't really diagnose the problem without seeing the tree and examining the root system so I'm not sure what to suggest. Citrus trees need to be watered deeply once a week during the growing season; twice a week if the soil drains rapidly and the weather has been hot. You may want to dig around in the root system of your dead tangerine tree to see if you can find fungal growth (white stringy fungus in the wood or around the roots). If so, it indicates a wood rot which is associated with poorly draining soils and overwatering. There's not much you can do to stop th progress of the disease once the tree develops a root rot. You can take samples of the roots to your local cooperative extension office for a first-hand diagnosis. Helpful folks there may be able to suggest ways to avoid this problem in the future. Contact Palm Beach County Cooperative Extension, 531 North Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL - (561) 233-1700. Hope they can help!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"