sand hills - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
In our back lawn, we have about a dozen large sand hills, not too far apart, ( the big rain yesterday has washed the sand hills down almost to ground level).I do not see any ants. What could that be?

0

My guess is Earth-boring dung beetles. Adult sandhills earth boring scarabs spend most of their lives underground in burrows that are often 3 to 6 feet deep. They are most active above ground from September to April for short periods after drenching rain. These beetles feed primarily on insect eggs and other insects although they can also feed on plant parts. I don't think they're causing problems in your landscape and they may not return now that their hills have been destroyed. Keep a look out, though, and you may see them.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"