Hostas - Knowledgebase Question

Elkhorn, Ne
Question by amychesnut
I planted hostas in the front of my new home. They are in the shade for the morning and don't get direct sun until about 2pm or so but the front of my house does face west. They have really struggled and don't look like they will make it. I made sure to get hostas that don't require majority shade. Is there any hope for these or do I need to relocate them?

0

While some hostas will tolerate sunshine, hot afternoon sunshine might be a bit too much for them. I'd replant them to a spot with morning sun and afternoon shade. There are other plants you might consider planting in the site. Some good choices include heather, daylilies, and columbine. All will do well in morning shade and afternoon sun. Prior to planting be sure to amend the soil with organic matter to help it hold moisture and keep the roots of your plants cool. Best wishes with garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"